Priorities for Ethiopia in the 21st Century
As you and I may realize, this group represents the best and brightest
of Ethiopia. At least I believe in that. As representatives of the best
and brightest of Ethiopia, I would like to solicit visionary articles
on the general topic
"Development priorities for Ethiopia in the 21st Century"
Under this heading you will choose any topic that interests you. But
you have to write an adequate background on the subject, and what was done
in the past, what is being done now, and what is your vision of the
subject for the next 100 years. As much as possible make references to
literature. Several people may collaborate on the topic and the following
sub topics. Here are suggested sub headings
1. Economic Development, Trade and Investment and Job Creation
2. Sustainable Development, Quality of Life and the Environment
3. Armament, Peace and Security
4. Civil Society, Human Rights, and the Constitution
5. Education and Culture
For example on Education and Culture, a group may take "higher
education" as a topic, an other may deal with "Ethipian Sociology"
These subheadings are taken from the National Summit on Africa. If we
answer a set of questions which are relevant to Ethiopia, then we will
have a guiding knowledge to act. In other words we are writing a
large volume of a book. May be 1000 pages. The papers will be published
on a special nedition of the AAU-Network Newsletter. There is no
special format. Write and email as an
attachment. Here are the deadlines
1. Submit your abstracts by the 1st of every month and you will be notified
within 3 days if the topic is acceptable.
2. If accepted the first draft is due by the 15th of every month
3. You will receive comments within 3 days of receiving your first draft
4. The final paper must be submitted by the first of the second month.
5. You will receive feedback May 15, 2002
6. Final paper due on August 15, 2002
Since these are visionary papers they will not be peer reviewed.
As we move along to do the things that are best for Ethiopia, for
HIV-AIDS, Education, Awards and Recognition etc, we can transform
discussions to educate the youth, to inform the community, and
knowledge thus gained comes the critical transformation from
This is an ambitious call, and let's see if this can be done